Thursday, June 23, 2011

Amazingly Simple Granola

Probably one of my biggest pet peeves about living a g-free lifestyle is breakfast.  How I watch with envy as my husband pops a bagel in the toaster and then spreads smooth cream cheese on top.  Sometimes this simple act is enough to turn me into a miserable grouch haha.

 Don’t get me wrong there are plenty of gluten free breakfast foods, but most of us don’t have time in the morning to make eggs and things like that.  My day usually starts with Chex cereal or a waffle smeared with peanut butter and jelly (amazing tip: make your favorite batch of pancakes or waffles, freeze them, then defrost in morning for a quick breakfast!).  However, I get lazy in the morning and alternating between those two food choices gets old preeeety fast!

I came up with a recipe for granola that  tastes great and is delicious for breakfast or a snack!  This exact granola recipe was a staple for Beau and I when we went hiking in the Northern Georgia Mountains a few weeks ago.  A perfect snack to eat after a long and sweaty day of hiking on the Appalachian Trail! 
My camera took this amazing picture of the Amicalola Waterfall
in Northern Georgia.  It's the largest waterfall in the Eastern U.S.


1)   Preheat oven to 300 F.

2)   Mix 2 cups old fashioned oats, 1 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts), ½ cup small pumpkin seeds (or sunflower), ½ cup shredded coconut, and cinnamon to taste.

3)   Add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and ½ cup agave syrup.  (My husband and I really like the taste of agave syrup and it is completely natural.  If you prefer, maple syrup or honey can be used instead).

4)   After a good mix, spread out mixture on 9x13 cookie sheet and bake between 25-35 minutes, stirring once.

5)   Once the granola is crispy and thoroughly baked, add in about ½ cup each dried fruit of your choice (I like raisins, craisins, and apple slices).  Let mixture cool completely before storing it!

Just a quick note: I haven’t been able to make it stick together in huge crunchy clumps (still working on that aspect…) but I sure have mastered the flavor and a nice mildly crunchy/ chewy texture that is sure to please anyone!
Crazy monkey man aka Beau climbing boulders along the Appalachian
Trail ascending Blood Mountain.

View from top of Blood Mountain... we LOVE the Blue Ridge Mts!

Yet again the crazy man creeping in our cabin... haha!

We stayed at the Blood Mountain Cabins in Blairsville, GA.  Literally
right next to the Appalachian Trail!  Loved our cozy little home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you have to say!